Genesis 2 : 8 (New Living Translation)

Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him.”

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

sick baby, sick mommy, tired daddy...and the full time nanny

Big news! She can now grasp monkey on her own, and finally get him in her mouth! She's been trying for weeks now.... Way to go! It's the little things.




Several things are going on in the Mattison household these days, but most of them are not appropriate for the blog. Namely, because I want to talk ugly about some people who actually read the blog. Frustrating at the least. No, it's not you. Here's what I can disclose.
Good ole MSU closes for a "snow" day Thursday. So I get to stay home with the sick girl without using my imaginary leave (I have none since I stayed home with her for nearly 3 months!) Thank you MSU! Well, since we somehow missed the disastrous winter weather Dick Rice promised, I have to go back to work on Friday. So Daddy, who was taking off early to go duck hunting in the delta all weekend, decides he'll just take the whole day and cart her off to the dr's office.
Sweet Baby Gracie completed a record 3 days of daycare before I pulled her from the evil grasps of winter colds, sniffles, coughs, ear aches, etc. Poor girl. Here's evidence of the fever in her cheeks... that I ignored and called "rosy" for an embarrassing length of time.
She's such a trooper and her daddy gets big points for taking her to the dr! Just Gracie and her daddy on their way to get some good drugs. He reported that he was the only daddy in the waiting room, but I find that hard to believe because I am no stranger to the pediatric clinic waiting room, and I have ALWAYS seen daddies there with their sick wee ones. But we'll let him claim that glory nonetheless.

I got SICK. If Gracie felt as bad as I felt Friday night, she has a real high tolerance for pain! It was horrible. I made a plan to not leave my bed unless absolutely necessary.
So, the bed contained (wish I had felt good enough to take a pic of this accomplishment) changing pad, wipes, nasal aspirator, Kleenex, nasal drops, ear drops, Tylenol, reflux drops, antibiotic drops, syringes for all the drops, bib, blanket, burp cloth, diapers, chloraseptic spray, cough drops, cell phone, and me. Gracie slept (periodically rested between moans and cries) in her bassinet which was pulled as close to the bed as possible. Unfortunately I didn't have room for the refrigerator or toilet, then we would have been set!

Caring for a sick baby is 0 fun and caring for your sick baby while you are sick is.....well, I don't have a word for that misery. This brings me to the full-time nanny!

My mom and dad come to my house and take over caring for the wee one when I reach the bottom of despair since I'm so weak and achy that I can't pick Gracie up! That's when I knew we were in big trouble. Thank you Lord that I did not have something other than her sickness... I just knew I would give her the flu and child services would snatch her from me.

We are all well now, finally! I still sound like a chain smoker, but I feel fine =)
Daddy unfortunately did have to pay when he finally got home Sunday. He shampooed carpets and rearranged furniture. And loved every minute of it I assure you.

Gracie is now staying home in her cozy warm nursery while my mom plays with her all day long... so jealous! And now the search is on (deja vu) for daycare once the temps are out of the twenties. I am convinced that I will do a better job at choosing a place that we both love and that I feel comfortable with.
Gracie is now 13 lbs and approx 23"
That is all, consider yourself updated!

2 comments:

  1. So glad y'all are better! Yeah, it is 0 fun with sick babies & sick parents. We (our family) had the stomach virus 4! times last winter. . . negative fun! Be safe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. taking care of Trey when he is sick (as he has been for a week!) is hard enough!!! I can't imagine what it will be like with a little one. Bless you. Glad you are all better! Still thinking of you during this transition.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive